Skip to main content

THE MINI-MOON

Marriage [mar·riage /ˈmerij/]: "an intimate and ritually recognized union shared between two spouses"...and all of their Instagram followers. As a woman of a certain age (e.g., old enough to have witnessed the rise of Facebook yet young enough to have abandoned it due to its high concentration of middle aged divorcees), I have seen my fair share of weddings on social media and all of the attention that surrounds them. One flash of an engagement ring will rack up hundreds of likes and comments and catapult the poster into a new realm of Insta fame. The newly-engaged will ride this wedding wave for as long as humanly possible; taking every opportunity to boast about their new relationship status and all of the planning that comes with it.

I myself have fallen victim to the temptation a fourth finger ring brings, and admittedly spent a little too much time crafting a clever caption to accompany my own engagement announcement post (which, by the way, got hella likes). From the proposal itself, to engagement parties, to bridal showers and beyond, every wedding ritual will be celebrated and artfully staged so that there is no dip in the number of double-taps when it goes live on the 'gram. However, no ritual has been more obviously created to suit the digital age we live in than the most ridiculous of all the rituals: the mini-moon.

"What is a mini-moon" you might ask? A mini-moon, in simple terms, is a trip that couples take post-wedding that is not an actual honeymoon, but a pre-honeymoon. I'm not talking a one night getaway to wind down after the wedding and gear up for the big honeymoon trip - I'm talking a full-fledged vacation. Rather than spend three weeks island hopping in Greece, a mini-moon might be a "quick" (read: week-long) jaunt to Bermuda before a couple embarks on their actual honeymoon a few months later.

First off, there is nothing "mini" about these moons if you ask me. The fact that these couples are able to take time off for (and, quite frankly, able to afford) these lavish "mini" trips in addition to taking an even longer trip a few months later is mind-boggling from the perspective of someone who actually works in an actual office. Second, if any of these couples could hook me up wherever they are presently employed, I will happily forward my resume (I'm like not kidding).
And third, call me crazy, but since when is a trip of any duration taken within days of your wedding NOT a honeymoon? Since Instagram, of course.

The honeymoon concept dates back to 5th century Europe. At their wedding, couples were given a "moon's worth" (approximately a month's worth) of honey wine to drink together in the hopes they'd get drunk enough to do the nasty and pop out a kid nine months later. I guess back in an age where toothbrushes weren't a thing it makes sense that it took heavy alcohol consumption to facilitate any sort of intimacy...
Oral hygiene aside, the important thing here is the timeline: the traditional honeymoon was over and done within a month of the actual nuptials. And that is how it continued to be until the dawn of social media and the sensationalizing of all things wedding.

If you ask me, in it's purest sense, a mini-moon is a couple's attempt to keep their followers' interest now that the wedding is over. It's a way for couples to sample multiple influencer-frequented locales-du-jour (without committing to one as the place they chose as their Honeymoon destination should the pictures from one garner less likes than the other). A chance to extend the months of attention they have already received from their newly-tuned in audience because clearly they're not getting enough attention from their new spouse by categorizing not one, but two vacations under the heading of "wedding" so as to keep the popularity party going. In all honesty, no one will care as much about the second trip you have planned a few months from now if it's not cleverly disguised as some extension of the newlywed festivities. And you know what? That's fine. Because after all, you're spending quality time with the person you love the most, and that's all that matters, right? Right?! Plus, there's always that first anniversary post to look forward to...

So when you leave for your week-and-a-half trip to Tulum the day after your wedding, call it what it is: your honeymoon. And the three week trip to Australia you have planned four months from now? That's a vacation, and you'll receive the same treatment from us as any other person on vacation on social media: we'll most likely just be jealous. And for mini-moons, this is the only thing I will associate with that word from now on:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BREAKING THE RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

"Will you marry me?" The happiest words I've ever heard come out of my boyfriend's mouth since "I love you." Words that, if I'm lucky, I'll only hear once in my lifetime. (I'm looking at you, Danielle Staub...) *Twenty-one Since I said "yes(!!!)," however, there are five little words I hear over and over again. From friends, from family, from complete strangers. Words that sound innocent enough the first time - maybe even the tenth time - but after the thirtieth time, have really started to test my newly engaged woman patience: "Have you set a date?" Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to marry my fiancé. But every time I hear those words, I am dragged further down to earth off my happy engagement cloud and I'm mad about it . Hear me out. First off, if you've been with someone a while (read: over a year), you, too, have definitely suffered a nosy inquisition from those around you in the form of the innocen

THE SENSITIVE SKIN STRUGGLE

All natural, fragrance free, oil free, acne safe, dermatologist approved, AWESOME! SO WHY IS THERE A MINI VOLCANO ERUPTING ON MY FACE?! And so goes the sensitive skin struggle. For years, I've marveled at my mom/sister/friends/every single person in Sephora slathering on, spritzing, BATHING in the oiliest, sparkliest, goopiest products with zero f*cks given, as I would dab the tiniest drop of moisturizer on my wrist and count down the seconds until I'd break out in hives. If you've been wearing the same four makeup products for years , if you fear anything with "jojoba" in the title, if your skin crawls watching beauty bloggers cake on layers of makeup, I SEE YOU, I HEAR YOU, I'M ITCHING WITH YOU. Here are seven struggles you can relate to: 1. The salon is not your friend. Who doesn't love a fresh blowout? Well when it leads to a week worth of forehead pimples and a burning scalp, COUNT ME OUT. The hairspray, the heat protective oils, the shampoo and

I BOUGHT A KYLIE LIP KIT

I am a creature of habit, especially when it comes to makeup. I've worn the same foundation, the same bronzer, the same mascara, for years . This is mostly due to the fact that my skin cannot handle change , and partially due to the fact that I am makeup illiterate. You'd think I'd have absorbed at least some of the thousands of tutorials I've scrolled past on the 'gram, but no. The closest I've come is my smokey eye "look" , and even then... Thankfully, I have my sister. Younger, cooler, and totally up on all of the latest beauty trends. I live vicariously through her Sephora trips while I sit at home and tend to the mysterious hives on my face, which were most likely caused by either the laundry detergent I used or perhaps the apple I ate, one never quite knows. Though my skin broke out in a rash at the thought of trying her sparkly eyeshadow, there was one new purchase I had to get my hands on: her Kylie Lip Kit . Her lips looked so perfect